I have been considering ways in which we could be more intentional disciples of Jesus in our workplaces over the coming months. The verse that immediately springs to mind is:
“Let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven”. Matthew 5:16
How may we do this. Some brief thoughts:
• When asked the Monday morning question “How was your weekend?” You might answer “We had a really good talk at church on Sunday” or “I had a fun Saturday with friends from church helping to paint a flat for a single Mum” or……….
• Offer to pray when you hear of someone in a difficult situation – but be sensitive. May be appropriate to pray then, may be more appropriate pray later.
• Be counter cultural. Jesus was a servant king. “But made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant.” Phil 2:7 Pray and look out for opportunities to serve those around you and when asked why, be ready with an appropriate answer.
• “Do not conform to the pattern of this world”. Romans 12 v2. What might this mean in your workplace? How can I stand out by being different? In a culture where there is bad language or gossip. Don’t! Where the ‘done thing’ is not to say sorry, apologise if you get things wrong. Fill in expense forms honestly.
• December will soon be here. Think how you can tell colleagues about the real meaning of Christmas. Perhaps start praying about inviting them to Carols for the Business Community and then going on to the German Market!