Maria Price helped City Women to focus on image at our recent City Women lunch event, “Is it actually you who chooses what you wear?”
She shared a whole series of pictures with us, to help us to notice styles, colours, messages: I was particularly energised by some wonderful images of older people breaking stereotypes in the vibrant colours they chose.
Maria is a Prayer Guide on our Daily Life Retreat and she has been an image consultant for 15 years. With a background in visual communication, graphic design and art therapy, Maria’s approach to image consultancy has combined visual communication, branding, psychology and her discipleship of Jesus. She is passionate about helping people in their self-esteem, giving space to know ourselves better and love ourselves more.
Maria encouraged us to acknowledge and love the unique gifts and characteristics that God has given each one of us – our body, or face, our age, our colour, our shape and our personality. We focused together on Luke 8: 16 – 18 from The Message Bible, using it as encouragement to accept ourselves lovingly:
“No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a washtub or shoves it under the bed. No, you set it up on a lamp stand so those who enter the room can see their way. We’re not keeping secrets; we’re telling them. We’re not hiding things; we’re bringing everything out into the open. So be careful that you don’t become misers of what you hear (of what God has given you). Generosity begets generosity. Stinginess impoverishes.”
Maria gave us time to discuss a whole series of questions in small groups: they are questions which are well worth pondering.
- How much do your clothes say about you?
- Why do some styles look great on others but not on you?… and vice versa
- Would you like to express yourself more with your clothing/hair/accessories?
- Is there a “secret” part of you that you never cater for in your choice of dress e.g. romantic, adventurous, retro, elegant, fun, creative, wild?
- Does your outer self have any relationship with your inner self?
- Does your soul request anything from your body?
- What does God say to you?
Maria gave us positive, trusted space to open up the deeper messages in what we wear. What a helpful way of allowing God to connect with the whole of us – body, mind and spirit.
cc photo by gratisography